The primary mission of McGovern Library is to support the educational curriculum of the university. The Library aims to serve all members of the campus community by meeting their instructional, research, and general information needs. McGovern Library actively supports the mission and commitments of Dakota Wesleyan University.
McGovern Library fulfills its mission through the following objectives:
- To select materials and develop collections in all appropriate formats that support the school's curriculum; that provide a variety of viewpoints on issues; and that are responsive to the needs and potentials of DWU students, faculty and staff.
- To provide access to local, regional, and worldwide information sources.
- To support and assist the DWU community in effectively and efficiently locating, selecting, evaluating, and using information by providing both one-on-one and classroom library instruction.
- To provide a user-friendly environment appropriate for study and research in which assistance is offered and questions are encouraged.
- To preserve and facilitate access to special collections, including archival materials.
- To support and participate in local, regional, national, and international networks that share resources and services.
- To make optimal use of human, financial, and physical resources in providing library services in an ever-changing information environment.
- To provide instructional technology services for classroom instruction.
- To provide a wide array of technological resources, ranging from traditional audio-visual equipment to current multimedia technologies.