Federal PLUS (Parent) Loans
- Available to parents (in certain circumstances stepparents) of dependent students.
- DWU works with the parent to determine the amount that a parent is eligible to borrow.
- A credit evaluation is required.
- Payments usually begin within 60 days after the beginning date of the repayment period (the date of the last disbursement of the loan). Check with your lender about deferment options.
- The parent/borrower is responsible for the interest during the life of the loan (the federal government does not pay any interest).
- The lender of these Federal Direct Loans is the U.S. Department of Education (the Department) rather than a bank or other financial institution.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Federal PLUS Loan pre-approval process
Complete the DWU PLUS Loan Credit Check Form
and return it to our office:
DWU Financial Aid
1200 W. University Ave.
Mitchell, SD 57301
Once you have completed this form, you will be notified if you have been approved or denied.
If you, the parent, have been approved
and wish to complete the application process please follow the steps below.
Applying for the Federal PLUS Loan
***Please review all steps before beginning
If you, the parent, have been denied
- Step 1- Contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance to determine the amount you will need to borrow in the Federal PLUS loan.
- Step 2- Please complete the PLUS Master Promissory Note online. (See instructions below to navigate this website) Note: The Direct PLUS master promissory note only needs to be done once at DWU
- Under “Manage My Direct Loan” sign in and then go to left hand side under “PLUS Loan Process”
- Select “Request PLUS Loan”
- Select the loan type: Parent PLUS and fill the information in
- Once your application has been approved please make sure you complete the MPN by selecting your student’s name located in the middle of the page
- Step 3- Complete the PLUS Loan Amount form and the PLUS Excess Cash form and return them to the DWU Financial Aid Office for final processing. (If you are unable to print these forms, contact the DWU Financial Aid Office.)
, the student may qualify for an additional Federal Unsubsidized Stafford loan. The financial aid office will automatically receive a notice of the PLUS loan denial and revise the student’s award letter with the additional Federal Unsubsidized Stafford loan.
The maximum amount borrowed (determined by the financial aid office) cannot exceed the student's cost of attendance minus other financial aid.
Interest rate and fees
The Federal Direct PLUS Loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) has a fixed interest rate of 7.9%.
Parent borrowers are charged a four percent origination fee which is deducted from the gross loan amount prior to disbursement to DWU. The net loan proceeds are credited to the student’s account electronically approximately 7-10 days prior to the beginning to each term in equal disbursements depending on when the parent has requested and completed all paperwork for this loan.