This page is to help students called to active duty understand their options and procedures. It does not pertain to students who are doing their annual two week National Guard duty.
Steps I Need to Take
Options for incompletes or withdrawals
- Contact and provide orders to the Registrar. If orders have not been received by the projected departure date, the Registrar’s Office will provide the student with a self-addressed stamped envelope for mailing a copy of the orders. The Registrar’s office is in Smith 209, phone number is 605-995-2647.
- Meet with instructors and academic advisor to determine whether a withdrawal or incomplete is best for each course. See options below.
- Meet with the Registrar to declare your academic option of incompletes or withdrawals for your courses.
- Deployment during the academic term
- A student may have the option of taking incompletes and finishing work later. In these cases, the work will be completed away from campus and the incomplete deadline will be extended to allow reasonable completion of the academic work while deployed.
- If a student does not have the option of taking incomplete grades, the student may withdraw from DWU with full refunds of their tuition and prorated refunds of room and board.
- Deployment at the end of an academic term
- A student may be allowed to take finals early or have finals proctored at their place of deployment.
- Limited Deployment
- If the student is able to return to campus before the end of the academic term, the student may take excused absences in his/her classes only if the number of excused absences is such that successful completion of the course is possible.