- The value of a liberal arts education through a broad general education curriculum and elective courses
- Providing you with specialized learning for your sports management career through applied internship experiences, independent study and senior seminar
- A broad vision—grounded in business, history, literature, and the social sciences, as well as leadership skills and insights that include:
- The critical thinking of an inquiring mind
- Qualitative investigation, awareness and understanding of issues confronting contemporary sport
- Effective expression through fine-tuned oral and written communication skills
- The desire and the ability to identify, frame, analyze, and resolve problems while developing innovative and creative solutions
- By emphasizing the application of concepts and principles specific to the psychology, sociology, management and business of sport
- By emphasizing extensive classroom dialogue, thought-provoking discussions and applied positional papers
- By emphasizing comprehensive final examinations
- By emphasizing consistent contact with our students through:
- Classroom teaching
- Course advising
- Career counseling
- Leadership coaching
- Informal discussions
Here are some unique characteristics of the sports management program at Dakota Wesleyan University:
- We offer a sports agency course. Students will be exposed to the workings of collective bargaining agreements for professional sports – through the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. They will learn what it takes to become certified as agents, and will have the experience of representing professional athletes.
- Our students are organizing the Pro Showcase, an event that is open to college seniors who are attending schools in the Midwest region of the United States. Representatives from many different professional leagues will be on hand to observe and collect information on each of the players in attendance. Leagues represented include the National Basketball Association, the NBA Developmental League, the International Basketball League and FIBA. Not only will these scouts be on hand to view everyone’s performance first hand, the Daktronics video display system will be used to send out data to teams and organizations that are not in attendance.
- Sports management students will learn the operating system for the new Daktronics Inc. integrated scoring, video and advertising display system at the World’s Only Corn Palace. The system features a center-hung display with two video displays and dedicated scoreboard sections on two sides. Students will run the system as well as the camera feeds to the video display, allowing them the unique experience of working with equipment by Daktronics, the world’s largest supplier of large-screen video displays, electronic scoreboards, computer-programmable displays, digital billboards and control systems.